Baltimore, USA, 14 June 2014
Type EC2-S-C1. Building ordered in 1 May 1941, laid down by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard, Sparrow Point, Maryland, USA on 28 July 1942, launched on 7 September 1942, sponsored by Annie Green, completed and delivered to the Merchant Marine Combat Bar on 19 September 1942, decommissioned on 19 November 1946, loan to the City of New York, USA as the a boys training ship ss John W. Brown High School until 1982, part of the reserve between 1983-1988 and became part of the Project Liberty Ship and now used as museum ship. IMO 8862739, MMSI 303348100 and call sign KHJL.
With a deadweight of 9.857 tons, displacement of 3.070 (light)-12.923 (loaded) tons and as dimensions 134,6 x 17,4 x 8,5 metres or 441’6” x 57’ x 29’9.26”.
The machinery consists of 1-2.500hp double-acting condensing triple expansion reciprocating steam engine and 2 Babcock&Willcox cross drum sectional sinuous-header straight-tube boilers and while driving one screw allowing a speed of 11 knots and a range of 23.000 nautical miles. Cargo grain capacity 15.931,3 cubic metres or 562.608 cubic feet. When used as a troop transport able to take between 450-650 men. Crew numbered 46 seamen and 31 soldiers. Original armament consisted of 1-12,7cm/12.5” 38 cal gun at the stern and 7x1-2cm Oerlikon cannon. In 1942 was one 1-2cm cannon replaced by 1-7,62cm/3” cal 50 gun on the bow, June 1943 2-2cm cannon added , the same year another 2-12,7cm/3” guns and in September 1945 was she disarmed.